The term “Haiti is Open for Business” has been the leading slogan of President Martelly’s government. This statement is was the title of a TV special by Bloomberg Business aired of the 5th anniversary of the devastating earthquake of January 2010 named Haiti: Open for Business? With the grand opening of the first Panamex Port called Port Lafito back in July Haiti is living to see this slogan into a reality.
Port Lafito, Haiti’s first Panamax Port, is the centerpiece of the Lafito Global economic zone. This multi-purpose terminal located 20 kilometers north of Port-au-Prince boasts the deepest port in the nation with 12.5 meters of safe draft and 450 meters of berth expected to grow to 900 meters by June 2016.
Port Lafito will handle containerized and loose-bulk cargo while featuring state of the art equipment and software including a Tideworks terminal operating system (TOS). the company has for mission to Provide the most comprehensive commercial experience in the region with the latest technologies, modern equipment and unparalleled customer service at competitive rates. Their vision is to be the economic hub of choice in the Caribbean while creating positive and long-term value to the community and stakeholders
Port Lafito is the centerpiece of the Lafito Global integrated economic zone and Haiti’s first Panamax port. It is a full-service multi-purpose port facility that will cater to bulk and loose cargo imports, as well as provide port and terminal services to worldwide container service shipping lines with state of the art equipment and software.
Located 20 kilometers north of Port-au-Prince in the town of Lafiteau, Port Lafito is the deepest and largest port in Haiti, offering 12.5 meters of safe draft and 450 meters of berth in the first phase.
- Port Lafito’s location connects it to direct weekly calls by major international carriers both to and from regional worldwide hubs and U.S. ports, providing easy access to Central and South American destinations and the rest of the world.
- The Port Lafito terminal will stand at 130,000 square meters and provide 450 meters of berth (900 in phase 2) for offloading and loading operations.
- State of the art Liebherr cranes, new terminal container handlers, vessel mooring/unmooring services and refrigerated container assistance will serve ships unloading cargo.
- The Port will create a secure, efficient and environmentally friendly facility that will differentiate it from others in Haiti
- Port Lafito will be able to service clients requiring break bulk port facilities making this a unique advantage in the trade.
- Clients will include major relief agencies as well as renowned institutions.
- Liebherr, Port Lafito’s chosen mobile harbor crane supplier, has established a comprehensive training program complete with a virtual simulator to ensure highly qualified operators and the highest possible levels of productivity. The simulator is housed in Miami, FL at Liebherr’s facilities.
Port Lafito will actively contribute to the growing economy in Haiti:
- Port Lafito is expected to have a significant impact on the national economy of Haiti benefiting the more than 10 million people that live in the area.
- Port Lafito is the centerpiece of the Lafito Global Integrated Economic Zone, which will drive the creation of more than 30,000 new jobs in Haiti.
- Port Lafito has invested more than 10,000 hours into training local workers to create skilled labor and jobs in welding, construction and equipment operation, among others.
- Banque Nationale de Credit
- Capital Bank
- FDI – Industrial Development Fund
- FMO – Entrepreneurial Development Bank
- Haitian Government
- IFC – International Finance Corporation
- NASSA – Nationale D’ Assurance S.A.
Here are some more great facts about Port Lafito
GBG GROUP CORPORATE OFFICES
USA +305 792 4650
HAITI +509 2814 0000
For more information email@example.com